What is New in Photon OS 3.0
Photon OS 3.0 introduces support for ARM64 (Raspberry Pi 3), installer improvements, and up-to-date OSS packages including Linux kernel, systemd and glibc.
- Support for Raspberry Pi 3 pre-built image and the ability to build new images in the image builder.
- Ability to run the installer from multiple media, such as USB, CDROM, and Kickstart, on a wider range of storage devices.
Package and Binary Maintenance
- Cloud-ready images for rapid deployment on Microsoft Azure (new), Google Compute Engine (GCE), Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), and VMware products (vSphere, Fusion, and Workstation)
- New package versions for the following base OS packages:
- Linux kernel 4.18
- Glibc 2.28
- systemd 239
- Python3 3.7
- Openjdk : 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206
- Up-to-date versions for most packages available in the repository.
- Ability to support multiple versions of the same package (For example, go-1.9 and go-1.10).
- Support for new packages including EdgeX, Liota, linux-firmware, wpa-supplicant for WLAN, consul, meson, and so on.
- The OVA does not deploy on Workstation 14 but works on later and earlier versions.
- The Dialog package cannot be installed in 3.0.
- Not all packages in the x86-64 repo are available for ARM64. Notable ones include mysql, mariadb and dotnet libraries.