Upgrade the HTML5 vSphere Client Plug-In on vCenter Server for Windows
If you have a previous 1.1.x installation of the HTML5 vSphere Client plug-in for vSphere Integrated Containers and you download a newer 1.1.y version of vSphere Integrated Containers, you must upgrade the HTML5 plug-in. This procedure describes how to upgrade an existing HTML5 plug-in for vCenter Server on Windows.
NOTE: No new development work is planned for the plug-in for the Flex-based vSphere Web Client. In this and future releases, only the HTML5 vSphere Client will be updated. This release adds no new features to the Flex plug-in. If you installed the Flex plug-in with a previous release of vSphere Integrated Containers, there is no upgrade to perform.
- You are upgrading the HTML5 plug-in on a vCenter Server instance that runs on Windows. If you are running a vCenter Server appliance instance, see Upgrade the HTML5 vSphere Client Plug-In on a vCenter Server Appliance.
- You deployed an older version of the vSphere Integrated Containers plug-in for the HTML5 vSphere Client with a previous version of vSphere Integrated Containers 1.1.x. For information about installing the HTML5 plug-in for the first time, see Install the Client Plug-Ins on vCenter Server for Windows.
- You upgraded an existing vSphere Integrated Containers 1.1.x appliance to a newer 1.1.y version. For information about upgrading the vSphere Integrated Containers appliance, see Upgrade the vSphere Integrated Containers Appliance.
- Log in to the Windows system on which vCenter Server is running. You must perform all of the steps in this procedure on this Windows system.
- Go to https://upgraded_vic_appliance_address:9443 in a Web browser, download the new version of the vSphere Integrated Containers Engine package,
vic_1.1.y.tar.gz, and unpack it on the Desktop.
NOTE: If the upgraded vSphere Integrated Containers appliance uses a different port for the file server, replace 9443 with the appropriate port in the prerequisites above and in the procedure below.
- Open a command prompt as Administrator and run the following command to obtain the SHA-1 thumprint of the file server that is running in the upgraded vSphere Integrated Containers appliance.
echo | "%VMWARE_OPENSSL_BIN%" s_client -connect upgraded_vic_appliance_address:9443 | "%VMWARE_OPENSSL_BIN%" x509 -fingerprint -sha1 -noout
- Open the new version of the
\vic\ui\vCenterForWindows\configsfile in a text editor.
- Enter the IPv4 address or FQDN of the vCenter Server instance on which to upgrade the plug-in.
- Enter the URL of the file server in the upgraded vSphere Integrated Containers appliance.
- Copy the SHA-1 thumbprint of the file server that you obtained in step 1 and paste it into the
SET vic_ui_host_thumbprint=thumbprintNOTE: Use colon delimitation in the thumbprint. Do not use space delimitation.
- Save the
- Run the upgrade script, entering the user name and password for the vCenter Server administrator account when prompted.
- When the upgrade finishes, stop and restart the HTML5 vSphere Client service.
"C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\bin\service-control" --stop vsphere-ui
"C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\bin\service-control" --start vsphere-ui
What to Do Next
Log in to the vSphere Client, go to the vSphere Integrated Containers view, and verify that the version number reflects the upgrade.